Some of you seem particularly concerned about the dining in college. I don't blame you. The importance of the the quality of cafeteria food has been way understated. Think about it guys, this determines your meals for 3 times a day, 7 days a week - including late-night snacks - you don't want to be chewing in disgust each time.
That's actually how I felt towards food at Emory during Orientation - it was so bad for some reason. But the synthesis of my degenerating taste buds and slightly improving food variations made me reach the conclusion that it's just okay. Lunch and dinner are really unpredictable in taste, but one thing I've noticed is how they often have various replicas of Asian cuisines (albeit their authenticity is definitely questionable). Most freshmen get unlimited meal plans but you might want to reconsider if you'll be eating this for the next years:
Dining hours aren't all that flexible though, so if you missed the hours you may resort to the other dining locations, which would require cash money. Three dollars for 5 pieces of cheese sticks? Rip offffff. Regardless, the traffic is still heavy past midnight. But if you truly are a cheap college student, you can resort to this:
To compensate, my friends and I always dine out on the weekends and/or order deliveries. Quality of student life -> +1. Money -> -???. Trust me though, you cannot possible eat only cafeteria food @.@ or else Sanity -> nonexistent. On a side note, sushi for the win:
So there you have it, college dining experiences in a nutshell. And other than the options mentioned above, you can always mooch off of your friends and their roommates. After all, we live by the principle that what's mine is mine and what's not mine can also be mine. Just kidding. But for reals guys, let's go get some real, good food when I get back. Tell me if you're up for it :)
I enjoy reading your posts.
ReplyDeleteCan we get some real, good food when you get back? I am up for it.
yep, dining out is expensive D: but definitely required.
ReplyDeletefortunately, i have worked out the math. one meal at au bon pain = $7. 1 hour of scrubbing toilets = $11. so if i wanna eat, i gotta get on my knees and scrub -.-
but such is life
Thanks Eddie :) Let's go eat when I'm back for winter break.
ReplyDeleteAnd you too Eric. I miss summer in Philly when we went to Nectar, Pod, etc. So you better keep scrubbing =p
SUSHI!!! and dude tell me about it... every friday and saturday 2 of the 3 dining halls are closed so i always end up eating out.... job wise i got this good deal of $14 an hour, but it's only a one day thing.... and then atm i'm working at getting this job as a baking assistant... i only have to work 2 hours on friday and i get 24 bucks... which just about covers my weekend meal expenses (maybe)
ReplyDeleteLOL baking assistant. I miss the giant cookie. But talk about bad decision-making on the employer's part >=p
ReplyDeleteLOLL Auntie, Sure let's go eat!
ReplyDeletehmmm....don't you know how to cook tho?
and not to sound extremely annoying but....
that cafeteria food actually looked kind a good to me....
but
that's cuz i a eat everything :)
come home soon!
MOM BUY ME CHICKENNN!!!!! ^^
ReplyDeleteand give me ur address again cause the postcard in my room is gathering dust ><
Lawrence there's only so much one can cook in college, although I do wish for a home-cooked meal (cheesy chicken burrito!) =p
ReplyDeleteand LOL the cafeteria food is not all that bad I suppose. Maybe you'll be able to have a taste 4 years later =p
And Carey...I'm disappointed in your lack of organization skills >=(